10 Worst Excuses Not to Spay or Neuter Your Pet
1. Just one litter and then we'll have Fluffy spayed.
(Studies show that virtually the entire pet overpopulation stems from
the "just one litter mentality.)
2. My dog doesn't run loose, so he doesn't need to be fixed.
(Murphy's Law says otherwise.)
3. We always find homes for the kittens.
(And that means that an equal number of kittens at the pound will be
4. I want the children to witness the miracle of birth.
(Rent a video.)
5. My dog is so cute and unique, there should be more of her.
(The shelters and pounds are full of cute and unique dogs, most with
only a few days to live.)
6. It's not natural.
(There hasn't been anything "natural" about dogs since we began to
develop breeds thousands of years ago.)
7. I just couldn't look my dog in the eye if I had him castrated.
(Watch it, you're anthropomorphiizing.)
8. A female dog or cat should have at least one litter for health
(Medically, factually and ethically indefensible.)
9. Neutering my dog will make him fat and lazy.
(Too much food and not enough exercise make a dog fat and lazy.)
10. Fixing my pet will change its personality.
(The main influences on an animal's personality are the kindness and
care with which it is raised.)
Back to Poem index