Poison plants can prove to be very dangerous if your puppy is allowed to chew
on them. Being forewarned is being forearmed. Here is a list of dangerous
plants provided by The American Humane Society:
Apple Seeds (Cyanide)
Cherry Pits (cyanide)
Crown of Thorns
Dieffenbachia (houseplant in colder areas)
Dumb Cane ( " " " " " )
Oleander (even the smoke from burning this plant is poison)
Snow on the Mountain
Just because a plant is NOT listed here of course does not necessarily mean
you should allow your pup or adult dog to eat it or chew on it regularly. As
we know, puppies chew indiscriminately during teething. They should always
be under supervision outdoors - and all indoor houseplants kept out of reach.
If your dog becomes ill suddenly - with vomiting and/or diarrhea with
weakness and/or difficulty breathing, and there is evidence that the dog has
chewed on the leaves of ANY plant, get that animal to a vet with several
samples of the leaves (or berries or flowers or bulbs or seeds) that were
The National Animal Poison Control Center has a hotline which requires a
credit card number:
1-800-548-2423 AND 1-900-680-0000.
The NAPCC notes that different body weights, different breeds, quantity and
kind of plant ingested, age of the dog, and the dog's current health status
(pregnant bitch, for example, or an older dog with other health problems)
indicate that EACH POSSIBLE POISONING SITUATION IS DIFFERENT.
The organization recommends, for the reason above, that you should call them
or your vet before doing ANYTHING. If you know exactly what the dog ate, and
if the ingestion was within the hour, they MAY recommend vomiting. However,
inducing vomiting is NOT appropriate for all types of poisoning.
Other general recommendations include: fill the dog's stomach with food to
prevent damage from vomiting; then, give two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
by mouth. This should cause the dog to vomit within 20 minutes. The dose
may be repeated one time if the first dosage doesn't bring on vomiting.
Epsom salts and Ipecac syrup ARE NOT recommended by the NAPCC.
If the ingestion occurred more than one hour prior to discovery, or if the
dog is already showing signs of poisoning (vomiting, weakness, difficulty
breathing), you should take your dog immediately to your veterinarian. Take
with you samples of the vomit, diarrhea, and a large portion of the plant you
think the dog ate.